A blog about happiness and healthy living...

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

How do I keep motivated to go to the gym?


It is so easy to get turned off to the idea of going to the gym. I mean, just think about it:

You go to a room full of sweaty, smelly, grunting people to run on a human sized hamster wheel and pull on machines until you yourself are sweaty and smelly. On top of that, even to me, an avid gym goer, the gym is hands down one of the most humiliating places I have ever been.

AHH!!!

There is nothing like finally building up the courage to take on a new weight machine, only to immediately snap the chair in half when you try and adjust it to your height. Then, once everyone has had the chance to start staring, all you can do is fake enough confidence to walk over to the next machine… and smack your head into the bar hanging off it. This is when I typically decide that just the treadmill is enough for the day and book it out.

In all seriousness, how do I keep myself going to this place?

Yes, there’s the cliché answer of knowing that it is healthy, but for me it is also just as much about finding the humor in it all. Let’s face it, no matter what, I’m going to look idiotic when I try out a weight machine for the first time and my mascara is going to be bleeding down my face by the second half of my run. However, at the end of the day no matter how cringe worthy some of the moments are while they are happening, I can only giggle at them looking back. If I could just learn to laugh about them while their happening, well then, suddenly the gym is a happy place!

 
So here is my challenge to myself: I am going to try out a new machine, no matter how frightening it looks, every single time I go to the gym. This way the embarrassment will lose its potency and I can have fun no matter how stinky and smelly it is.
-Brooke :)

No comments:

Post a Comment