A blog about happiness and healthy living...

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Inside-out Turkey Burgers

Gosh. I have been so bad with my eating and working out since Thanksgiving. I ate out far more than I’d care to admit and abandoned the gym for about five days.
Last night I decided it was time to get back to being better again so I cooked up some inside out turkey sliders (inspired by a similar recipe in the cook book The Best of Clean Eating 2. These cook books are a great gift idea. There are lots of great ideas in them for EASY healthy meals.) and then I went for a solid work out at the gym.  
But first, meet my new favorite thing, my Christmas pig! Pigs might just be my favorite thing in the world and when I saw this thing at Kmart, I needed to get it. I couldn’t stop laughing while Michael set it up. Just figured I’d share J
Laughing SO hard. It even has its own little red scarf

Now… onto turkey burgers.
Preheat the oven to 425.
Cut some cheddar cheese into cubes.
I used one pound of lean ground turkey and added some salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Divide the turkey into eight pieces and then make a divot in each ball to put in a cube of cheese. Don’t do too much cheese or it will spill out of the burger while it cooks. Then ball them up like the one in the bottom right corner.
Cook them for about 6 minutes and then flip them over and cook for another five minutes or so.
Now this is where my dinner turns into kind of a fail. I had wanted to make a honey mustard sauce, but realized there was no mustard in the fridge. Instead I mixed some BBQ sauce and raw honey to make honey BBQ instead.
I would have put on a tomato and a leaf of lettuce or spinach but oops… don’t have any of that in my fridge either…
So these went with just a drizzle of sauce on a potato roll. And I am now planning my next trip to the grocery store.
Since I had no vegetables to speak of I ultimately served this with some fresh fruit instead.
Thanksgiving seriously put me in a funk didn’t it…
The burgers were delicious though. Cooking them with the cheese inside made them incredibly moist.
At the end of the night I hit the gym. I was really energetic which surprised me. I ran faster than I can remember ever running in a while which thrilled me. I also did some weight machines and I must have worked myself hard because I have a nice sore bum this morning. I was thrilled to see fresh rasperries in the fridge when I got home. Those made for a perfect night time snack.
I hope everyone is doing well and getting back into the groove of things after Thanksgiving J
And I also hope you are excited about it being the holiday season now!
-Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment